Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: DV close ups

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been having a bit of a problem trying to achieve decent close ups of people. Originally, I'd set the camera up near the actors face, but recently I've been setting the camera back and zooming in.

    The latter allows me to focus on the face and lose the focus of the background, which I think looks nicer.

    But I can't be sure that I'm doing "close-ups" right.

    What do you do when you're shooting a close up?

    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    m0ds

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Both will work. Both are correct.

    You have both Tele/Wide Angle CUs. They both will do different things and you need to know how to use both. The Wide will distort faces to a degree and the Tele willl drop out the Background due to lack of DOF.

    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's up to you what effect you're after- is the background important in the shot? Is there anything to see in the background? Are you concentrating entirely on the subject? Use the type of close-up that best suits what you're trying to achieve.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex, perhaps Mods is interested in the photography aspect of filmmaking in addition to the writing and directing. I know I am. He is just trying to ask what method people prefer, and perhaps acquire some tips. No harm.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex, I have trouble figuring out why some people have 11632 posts when really they should get out more and do some filming. [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]

    Nah i'm happy with how I do things, I just wanted to know what was the most common way. My DP-ing has been reviewed by an Empire writer and he found nothing wrong with it.

    Yammery, you're right [img]smile.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 23, 2003 10:13 AM: Message edited by: m0ds ]</font>

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by m0ds:
    I've been having a bit of a problem trying to achieve decent close ups of people. Originally, I'd set the camera up near the actors face, but recently I've been setting the camera back and zooming in.

    The latter allows me to focus on the face and lose the focus of the background, which I think looks nicer.

    But I can't be sure that I'm doing "close-ups" right.

    What do you do when you're shooting a close up?

    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    m0ds
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you have trouble choosing your desert entre?
    Picking out your attire for the evening?
    Which shoes to wear?
    Which end of the camera to look through?

    If you said yes to any of the above, HIRE A DP and concentrate on directing and writing.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by m0ds:
    Alex, I have trouble figuring out why some people have 11632 posts when really they should get out more and do some filming. [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, if you have time to wonder, maybe you should get out more often, shoot your close-ups, and then either figure out if you like it, or show it to someone. How in the world can we tell you anything with no images to analyze?

    I just had a short film premiere two nights ago, I had my previous film play in approximately 10 film festivals, and have an edited by credit in a video that will be in Blockbuster this winter, and just finished a tribute video about Jane Goodall and am doing color correction on old video masters for a distributor.

    What's ten posts a day when I have three forums I moderate plus a couple others I visit?

    I type fast.

    Gotta Go.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MatJimMood's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    it seems strange that someone who has achieved as much as they say feels the need to make himself feel superior by putting down the efforts of others.

    surely if you're as exprienced as you say, you would be able to answer questions with a reply that is informative and helpful.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member redlum's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2002
    Posts
    203
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex is alright. Good on ya fella.

    I know Tiffen do some close up lens filters. Never really quite understood them, maybe someone can fill me in.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 23, 2003 06:26 PM: Message edited by: redlum ]</font>

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MatJimMood:
    it seems strange that someone who has achieved as much as they say feels the need to make himself feel superior by putting down the efforts of others.

    surely if you're as exprienced as you say, you would be able to answer questions with a reply that is informative and helpful.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What is being missed here is that Mods has a great topic question, but has presented it in a confusing manner. If you re-read my original response you'll see that Mods could have just said no to the four QUESTIONS I posed. I was being either coy or obnoxous, but my polling question, was a question, not a final label.

    Big difference in my opinion, and the point was to remind people to "share the wealth" when possible.
    Incorporate others into your productions if there are others truly willing to participate. Your film looks MORE IMPRESSIVE the LESS TIMES we see your name in the credits.

    If I had been a better poster, a model citizen of astute perfection, I would have cut to the core issue and reframed Mod's question in a way that all could have better participated.

    Having not done that because I am not nor pretend to be perfect, Mods now hates me and even gave me a one rating.

    And Despin, shut up, you'd still have a one if not for my voting you up. [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 24, 2003 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •